Your Mental Wellbeing
Beat the blues with five simple steps to look after your mental wellbeing
One in four people will experience mental health problems during their lifetime.
Worries about things like work, finances and relationships can often make it harder for people to cope.
But there are some simple actions that we can all follow to help keep our minds healthy, build our resilience and start 2019 feeling more positive and hopeful.
Five Ways to Wellbeing
Follow these five steps to boost your mental wellbeing and feel happier and more fulfilled for 2019:
- Feeling close to, and valued by, other people can help us all to feel more positive in our lives and is a key step in promoting wellbeing.
- Try to do something different that helps you make connections with the people around you like your family, friends, colleagues or neighbours.
- Try picking up the phone instead of sending an email or a text message, take the time to ask someone how they are, or even speak to someone new.
2. Be Active
- Physical activity can help to lower depression and anxiety across all age groups and is crucial to our overall wellbeing.
- Try taking a walk, going cycling or taking part in your favourite sport. You don’t have to go to the gym to be active,.
- Find an activity that you enjoy and make it part of your life.
3. Keep learning
- Learning new skills helps to give us a sense of achievement and boosts our confidence, and it can be fun!
- Try rediscovering an old interest, taking on a new responsibility at work, learning to play a musical instrument or setting yourself a new challenge like learning a language.
- Evidence shows that people who have a greater interest in helping others feel happier are more fulfilled.
- Even the smallest act can count, whether it’s a smile, a thank you or a kind word.
- Larger acts such as volunteering for a local charity or community centre can improve your mental wellbeing and help you meet new people and make new friends.
5. Take notice
- Being aware of what is taking place in the present directly enhances your wellbeing, enhances your self-understanding and allows you to make more positive choices.
- Take some time to enjoy the moment and the world around you.
- Try walking to work, having lunch out with friends or taking notice of how people are feeling and acting.
Today is always a great time to make positive changes our lives, but we know that sometimes people need some extra help or support along the way to cope with the challenges that life can bring.
Imagine Independence works to support people experiencing mental health challenges to live a full and independent life, whether that’s by ensuring they have a home that meets their needs, encouraging them to take part in meaningful activities, connect with friends, find employment, or improve their health.
Get in touch with us to find out how we can help by calling 0151 709 2366 or visit our website www.imagineindependence.org.uk