Five Ways to Wellbeing
Follow these five steps to boost your mental wellbeing and feel happier and more fulfilled:
- Feeling close to, and valued by, other people can help us all to feel more positive in our lives and is a key step in promoting wellbeing.
- Try to do something different that helps you make connections with the people around you like your family, friends, colleagues or neighbours.
- Try picking up the phone instead of sending an email or a text message, take the time to ask someone how they are, or even speak to someone new.
2. Be Active
- Physical activity can help to lower depression and anxiety across all age groups and is crucial to our overall wellbeing.
- Try taking a walk, going cycling or taking part in your favourite sport. You don’t have to go to the gym to be active,.
- Find an activity that you enjoy and make it part of your life.
3. Keep learning
- Learning new skills helps to give us a sense of achievement and boosts our confidence, and it can be fun!
- Try rediscovering an old interest, taking on a new responsibility at work, learning to play a musical instrument or setting yourself a new challenge like learning a language.
- Evidence shows that people who have a greater interest in helping others feel happier are more fulfilled.
- Even the smallest act can count, whether it’s a smile, a thank you or a kind word.
- Larger acts such as volunteering for a local charity or community centre can improve your mental wellbeing and help you meet new people and make new friends.
5. Take notice
- Being aware of what is taking place in the present directly enhances your wellbeing, enhances your self-understanding and allows you to make more positive choices.
- Take some time to enjoy the moment and the world around you.
- Try walking to work, having lunch out with friends or taking notice of how people are feeling and acting.